family law


July 21, 2019



| Your comment matters, please click here to rate article!

Free Download
Guide through Family Court Proceedings
Get in touch
How to book an appointment
How to appoint a lawyer

My wife wants to move to the UAE to live with me - can I stop her?

Question: I have been living in the UAE for a long time but my wife lives in my home country with my parents. She is now applying for a resident visa to move to the UAE without my consent. Can I file a complaint against her for seeking a visa without my permission or sponsorship?

Answer: The entry and exit of foreign residents are governed by the immigration laws of the UAE. If your wife has a valid sponsor in the UAE, she may get a visa without your consent. However, the grant of residency to your wife will be subject to the regulations of the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs.

Question: I recently discovered that my husband cheated on me with another woman. The woman left the country but I have copies of their WhatsApp messages that prove the two were talking to each other. I want to file a permanent travel ban on the woman but can I also file a case against my husband?

Answer: The Prosecution and the Criminal Courts have discretionary powers to decide or evaluate the evidence you provide. Accordingly, you may file a complaint to Public Prosecution with the evidence you have. Prosecutors will investigate both your husband and the other woman for the offence of adultery. Since the other woman is outside the country, the Prosecution may issue an arrest warrant against her, which may be executed immediately upon her arrival in the UAE.

Question: My husband has been abusing me physically and mentally. I did not file a criminal complaint against him because I planned to leave him and take my children along with me but he has now placed a travel ban on our children. How can I remove the ban and file a complaint against him?

Answer: Police can register a criminal complaint after investigating evidence of the abuse, such as a mark on your body. You may also get a medical report to provide details of the injury and the possible cause. These reports can be used in a divorce case and in a custody claim against your husband. You can challenge the travel ban your husband placed on you in court. However, it is up to the court's discretion to lift the ban.


No comments found.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want to know more?
Then talk to us.

Client Testimonials

I owe the success of my case to Dr. Hassan's diligent approach. He remained focused, put me at ease and always went the extra mile. Dr. Hassan tirelessly put my case in the best possible light and I cannot thank him enough. I would highly recommend Dr. Hassan - I am grateful to him from the bottom of my heart.

Raphael Lauria
Manager, FME General Trading

Dr. Hassan Elhais is among the best legal consultants I have ever worked with. He has an amazing ability to reduce complex issues into a simple concept that non-legal people can understand. He consistently develops innovative litigation strategies that help us to achieve our ultimate legal goals.

Zhuo Liu

...the extraordinary effort that has been exerted by the staff, and we specially thank Dr. Hassan Mohsen Alhais. Wishing your continues success & excellence...

H.H. Sheikh Saeed Bin
Mohammed Hashir Al Maktoum

I believe everyone should recognize what a difference Dr. Hassan Elhais work has made to people's lives; and especially to our family's life, because we will remain forever grateful to each and every one of his team.

Luis Pozueco

Dr. Hassan Elhais never fears cases that involve exposure and he always gives me his honest assessment of our chances of success, which is invaluable to me.

Bassam Yamout
Director, JM Metal Trading LCC

He aided us not only in providing legal advice but also in all legal issues that required a long term strategic approach to achieve most favorable and optimum outcomes he provided us with high level of professional service.

Philippe Delbecq

Dr. Hassan Elhais is a responsible, reputable counsel who operates to high levels of service.

Anil Relwani
Manager, Luxury Real Estate

Dr Hassan Elhais is responsive, thorough and creative with his advice, and is a valued advisor and legal consultant.

Asma Mattar
Manager, Italian Style

Regardless of the complexity of the matter I know Dr. Hassan Elhais will consider not only legal strategy but also business practicalities in providing advice and litigation options.

Dr. Massimo Hakim
Chairman, Italian Style

I recommend Dr. Hassan Elhais to anyone who says 'I'm in legal trouble'. I was extremely satisfied with the high standard of his work. He has always been there when I have needed him and I refer all my clients, family and friends to him/his firm.

Manish Gupta
Marketing Manager, Express Digital System

Dr. Hassan Elhais was very professional and he listened to my needs. He was very prompt, efficient and always kept me informed. Dr. Hassan Elhais's service was excellent and I would definitely recommend him to friends and colleagues.

James Horsley
British Client

Contact Me

Main Menu

Contact Me