- Legal Articles
- Ask Elhais
March 18, 2018|
Question: My doctor misdiagnosed my condition twice. I went for a second opinion and found that I had been suffering from a certain condition for many months, but my first doctor did not mention it. Now my disease is more serious and I want to file a case against the doctor for malpractice. Will I be able to get any damages?
Answer: Law no.10/2008 is the law related to the medical practice in UAE. The law organises the obligations and duties of people working in the medical field.
Article No. 4 of the law lists the doctors' obligations as follows:
The physician must be particularly subject to the following:
1. Adhering to the rules, regulations, and procedures relating to practicing the profession according to their degree and field of specialisation.
2. Registering the patients health status and their personal and family biography before the beginning of diagnosis and treatment.
3. Prescribing medicine, determining its quantity and the method of use clearly in writing along with the name, signature, and date of the medical formula. The prescription should draw the attention of the patient or their family that it is necessary to commit to the method specified for treatment and the important side effects which are may occur from the medicines use.
4. Informing the patient of the nature and severity of their illness except if their interest requires something different or if their psychological status does not allow informing them. On the other hand, the patient's family must be informed in the following two cases:
a) If the patient is incompetent or if not fully competent.
b) If his health case does not allow informing him personally and it was difficult to get his consent to inform his family.
5. Monitoring any complications caused by the medical or surgical treatment and initiating treatment as soon as possible.
6. Co-operating with doctors related to the patients treatment, providing data concerning their health status and any follow ups when requested, and consulting a specialist if required.
The law also mentions the conditions of doctors' liability and the case of exemption from liability in article 14 of the law:
1. A doctor is liable if the medical mistake is caused by the doctors ignorance of technical matters that they should have knowledge of or if the mistake is caused by negligence or a lack of the necessary care.
The doctor is not deemed medically liable in the following cases:
1. If damage occurred as a result of the patient: their refusal of treatment, or failure to follow medical instructions given by those who are responsible for treatment or damage was caused by an external issue.
All this shall be done without prejudice to the provision of the Sub-Item (D) of Item (D) of Article (7) of this law.
2. If the doctor followed a certain medical method in treatment contrary to the relevant jurisdiction as long as the method followed in treatment in accordance with the generally accepted medical rules.
3. If the medical effects and complications known in the medical practice occurred and not caused by the medical mistake according to what is stated in Item (1) of this article.
The UAE law also states that all potential cases of medical malpractice must be registered with the high commission of medical responsibility, an organisation that was formed as per the law to receive complaints and prepare reports about malpractice in the medical field.
Article no 16 and 17 of law No10/2008 state:
The committee shall be responsible for submitting the opinion at the request of the General Prosecution, the competent court, or the healthy organisation concerning the following:
1. Whether or not a medical mistake occurred, along with indicating its reasons; the damages resulting from it, if any; the causation relationship between the mistake and the damage, and any other required matters.
2. The dangers of the profession relating to the medical practices. After the committee submits a report confirming malpractice, then you are entitled to file your compensation case before the concerned court to request compensation.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
I owe the success of my case to Dr. Hassan's diligent approach. He remained focused, put me at ease and always went the extra mile. Dr. Hassan tirelessly put my case in the best possible light and I cannot thank him enough. I would highly recommend Dr. Hassan - I am grateful to him from the bottom of my heart.
Dr. Hassan Elhais is among the best legal consultants I have ever worked with. He has an amazing ability to reduce complex issues into a simple concept that non-legal people can understand. He consistently develops innovative litigation strategies that help us to achieve our ultimate legal goals.
...the extraordinary effort that has been exerted by the staff, and we specially thank Dr. Hassan Mohsen Alhais. Wishing your continues success & excellence...
I believe everyone should recognize what a difference Dr. Hassan Elhais work has made to people's lives; and especially to our family's life, because we will remain forever grateful to each and every one of his team.
Dr. Hassan Elhais never fears cases that involve exposure and he always gives me his honest assessment of our chances of success, which is invaluable to me.
He aided us not only in providing legal advice but also in all legal issues that required a long term strategic approach to achieve most favorable and optimum outcomes he provided us with high level of professional service.
Dr. Hassan Elhais is a responsible, reputable counsel who operates to high levels of service.
Dr Hassan Elhais is responsive, thorough and creative with his advice, and is a valued advisor and legal consultant.
Regardless of the complexity of the matter I know Dr. Hassan Elhais will consider not only legal strategy but also business practicalities in providing advice and litigation options.
I recommend Dr. Hassan Elhais to anyone who says 'I'm in legal trouble'. I was extremely satisfied with the high standard of his work. He has always been there when I have needed him and I refer all my clients, family and friends to him/his firm.
Dr. Hassan Elhais was very professional and he listened to my needs. He was very prompt, efficient and always kept me informed. Dr. Hassan Elhais's service was excellent and I would definitely recommend him to friends and colleagues.