قانون الأسرة / قانون التملك

property law


October 13, 2019

It's too hot to sleep and my landlord won't fix the AC! What can I do?

Question: I work with a company in Dubai. My employer has not paid me my salary for the past three months. What are my legal options?

Answer: You can file a complaint with the Ministry of Labour to claim your outstanding salary. If the matter is not resolved amicably with mediation from the Ministry, you can ask for a court referral letter from the Ministry and register a case with Dubai Courts against your employer to claim your entitlements. You may also claim other labour rights such as three months of compensation for arbitrary termination, notice period, pending leaves, end of service gratuity, and any pending bonus as per your contract.

Question: My family and I live in a rented flat in Dubai. It has a centralised air conditioning system, which is faulty. It typically stops working during the night and, as a result, my family and I do not sleep well. This has affected my job performance and my children's school attendance as they are unable to wake up on time. We have complained to the landlord but he keeps stalling and has yet to provide a solution.

Answer: According to Dubai law, a landlord is obligated to maintain their leased property for the full enjoyment of the lease by the tenant. Since the centralised air conditioning is a part of the lease contract, the landlord is liable to handle repair works related to the system. Accordingly, your landlord's failure to repair the air conditioning system is a breach of their obligation and therefore you may register a case against them with the Rental Dispute Center.

Question: My son was travelling to the UAE as a tourist and was arrested at the airport. He was charged with attempting to smuggle marijuana into the country. What should I anticipate as punishment for his offence?

Answer: It is illegal to import marijuana into the UAE, according to Federal law. The quantity of the drug is a factor when assessing the case. If the quantity is significant, it may be assumed that the substance was brought into the country for commercial gains. Trafficking illegal substances can result in stringent punishment including life imprisonment and a fine up to Dh200,000. Your son should consult a lawyer as soon as possible to analyse the case further.

Related Links

Contact Me

I Agree to Terms and Conditions
Please check this box if you want to proceed.



تلعب القائمة

اتصل بنا

I Agree to Terms and Conditions
Please check this box if you want to proceed.