family law


January 05, 2017



| Your comment matters, please click here to rate article!

Free Download
Guide through Family Court Proceedings
Get in touch
How to book an appointment
How to appoint a lawyer

I Want to Divorce Abusive, Negligent Wife but I'm Scared She Will Take Kids

Question: I want to divorce my wife and have some questions. I have to travel a fair bit for work, and she is not completing her duties as a housewife, our flat is a mess. She does not cook any more, does not clean and she's hardly awake to take our daughter to the school bus. The child is trailing behind at school because she's missed so many days. My wife has a physical illness, so I understand that this can make her tired, but this is exaggerated. I tried to be supportive and employ a nanny four hours a day and a maid as well but, on top of that, she is ungrateful. Recently, on top of the usual verbal abuse, she started hitting me and insulting me in front of our children. I have a medical report of the incident and she has since done it again, also throwing our boy, who bumped his head. I really don't know what to do any more. My concern is that she gets custody of the kids and I know she won't take proper care of them.

Answer: You have the right to file for divorce per Article 117 of the Personal Status Law No 5 of 2005. The grounds for divorce would be: damaging family by neglecting the children and not emotionally and morally supporting the family and children. You also have the right to report physical abuse to the police in an effort to restraint her from physically abusing you. It is true that custody of children usually goes to the mother, as long as the children are under a certain age (boy 11, girl 13), however, you have the right to claim custody based on the fact that the mother is unsuitable or unfit to take care of the children. One of the factors, per Article 143, is that the custodian be capable of bringing up, protecting and caring for the child. The court's paramount concern is usually the best interest of the child, therefore as long as you are able to prove that the mother is unfit or unsuitable to raise the children, you should be able to claim custody.

Question: I am an Asian woman and I think my husband is having sex with a woman in Dubai. I don't have any proof yet but many people have told me already. Can I file a case against him?

Answer: You have the right to file a criminal case against him for the offence of adultery, per Article 356 of UAE Federal Law No 3 of 1987, the Penal Code, only if you have proof that he has been having a physical relationship with another woman in the UAE. If you are planning to proceed with criminal charges against your husband and his girlfriend you should provide any kind of evidence you have, including witnesses, photos, videos, emails/messages exchanged or a letter of admission. In general, the criminal court has full discretionary powers to evaluate and determine whether or not your husband committed adultery based on the subjective evidence you produce.

Related Links

Family Law Informative Videos

Family Law - Video
Your Divorce Your Choice!
What all types of divorces exist under the UAE laws...
Family Law - Video
What is the law regarding Child abduction in the UAE?
Dr. Hassan Elhais will explain different cases of child abduction in the UAE...


I married an Indian guy who is living in Dubai from 6yrs. After our marriage, I was living with him .he used to abuse me beat me .now I am 3 months pregnant. Due to domestic violence and mental harassment 1 month back he left me in India with his family and they also did domestic violence on me . Do I have rights to stay with him in Dubai and share the household ?? He left me here .
Abhilasha Umak
Physical violence is a ground for divorce in the UAE. You may file a divorce case against him and claim maintenance and accommodation expenses for you until the child is born. Subsequently, you may also claim all expenses for the new born child until you retain the custody of the child. Furthermore, you may also file a case against your husband to claim maintenance expenses without filing a divorce case.

If you would like to discuss more about your matter, we advise that you schedule a consultation meeting with us so that we can have a detailed discussion on your legal position and the legal recourse at your disposal.

Should you have further question, please do not hesitate to contact us.   Dr. Hassan Elhais

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want to know more?
Then talk to us.

Client Testimonials

I owe the success of my case to Dr. Hassan's diligent approach. He remained focused, put me at ease and always went the extra mile. Dr. Hassan tirelessly put my case in the best possible light and I cannot thank him enough. I would highly recommend Dr. Hassan - I am grateful to him from the bottom of my heart.

Raphael Lauria
Manager, FME General Trading

Dr. Hassan Elhais is among the best legal consultants I have ever worked with. He has an amazing ability to reduce complex issues into a simple concept that non-legal people can understand. He consistently develops innovative litigation strategies that help us to achieve our ultimate legal goals.

Zhuo Liu

...the extraordinary effort that has been exerted by the staff, and we specially thank Dr. Hassan Mohsen Alhais. Wishing your continues success & excellence...

H.H. Sheikh Saeed Bin
Mohammed Hashir Al Maktoum

I believe everyone should recognize what a difference Dr. Hassan Elhais work has made to people's lives; and especially to our family's life, because we will remain forever grateful to each and every one of his team.

Luis Pozueco

Dr. Hassan Elhais never fears cases that involve exposure and he always gives me his honest assessment of our chances of success, which is invaluable to me.

Bassam Yamout
Director, JM Metal Trading LCC

He aided us not only in providing legal advice but also in all legal issues that required a long term strategic approach to achieve most favorable and optimum outcomes he provided us with high level of professional service.

Philippe Delbecq

Dr. Hassan Elhais is a responsible, reputable counsel who operates to high levels of service.

British Client

Dr Hassan Elhais is responsive, thorough and creative with his advice, and is a valued advisor and legal consultant.

Asma Mattar
Manager, Italian Style

Regardless of the complexity of the matter I know Dr. Hassan Elhais will consider not only legal strategy but also business practicalities in providing advice and litigation options.

Dr. Massimo Hakim
Chairman, Italian Style

I recommend Dr. Hassan Elhais to anyone who says 'I'm in legal trouble'. I was extremely satisfied with the high standard of his work. He has always been there when I have needed him and I refer all my clients, family and friends to him/his firm.

Manish Gupta
Marketing Manager, Express Digital System

Dr. Hassan Elhais was very professional and he listened to my needs. He was very prompt, efficient and always kept me informed. Dr. Hassan Elhais's service was excellent and I would definitely recommend him to friends and colleagues.

James Horsley
British Client

Contact Me

I Agree to Terms and Conditions
Please check this box if you want to proceed.

Main Menu