What are my Legal Options against the Landlord?


We have recently rented an apartment in Dubai and were ensured that it is residential and family area. However, since the time we have moved we have seen numerous bachelors around our building living on sharing basis and are creating nuisance. We have complaint the landlord several times, yet my request went to his deaf years. What are my legal options against the landlord?



Dubai Municipality, every now then releases orders and notifications ordering the bachelors to not reside in the residential or family areas or for the landlords to not offer such buildings for bachelors. There are certain areas, where bachelors are allowed to reside on sharing or any other basis, subject to the number of bachelors residing in one apartment or in each room.

Pursuant to your inquiry, we note that you have already registered several complaints to the landlord and have not received any favorable response. At this stage, we advise you to register the complaint with Dubai Municipality and Dubai Rental Dispute Committee to register a complaint against the landlord for providing false information while renting the premises. The foregoing is backed by Article 770 of Federal Law Number 5 of 1985 regarding the Civil Transactions Law which reads as follows:

“A lessor may not cause any nuisance to a lessee in enjoying the benefit during the period of lease and shall not make any change in the leased property that prevents its benefits from being received or prejudices the benefit contracted upon, otherwise he shall be liable for the cause. 

Further, in accordance with Article 25 of Law Number 33 of 2008 amending Law Number 26 of 2007 regarding Landlord-tenant Relationship in Dubai, landlord may demand the eviction of the tenant in between the tenancy period, if the tenant uses or allows others to use the property for illegal purposes. Based on the foregoing provision, the Dubai Municipality may issue an eviction order against the bachelors.

Furthermore, for any immoral illicit behavior of the bachelors, you may register a complaint to the nearest police station under Article 359 of the Federal Law Number 3 of 1987 on UAE Penal Code which states that anyone who attempts to disgrace a female by words or by deeds in any public place shall be punished for a period not exceeding one year and fine not exceeding AED 10,000.

Contact Me

I Agree to Terms and Conditions
Please check this box if you want to proceed.

Select your Language:


Main Menu